Psycholinguistics and Reading
Psycholinguistics is the study of psychological and physiological factors underlying all aspects of language acquisition, use and understanding. Eye tracking plays a crucial role in psycholinguistics and its many sub-domains. In every case, eye tracking acts as both a means to control and evaluate the input to the mind/brain, and an important way to measure behaviour. Among many other paradigms, EyeLink eye trackers have been used extensively in the study of Reading, Spoken Language Comprehension, and Speech Production.
EyeLink 1000 Plus Eye Trackers:
- Allow scientific observation of Reading in a natural context without interfering with reading pace.
- Provide high-precision, high-speed, low-variability measurements to enable manipulations like the gaze-contingent Moving Window and Boundary Crossing paradigms.
- Can be used to study the time course with which acoustic input is mapped onto semantic representations in Spoken Language Comprehension.
(e.g., using the Visual World Paradigm implemented in Experiment Builder)
- Allow the relationship between visual inputs and verbal outputs to be accurately controlled and measured in Speech Production and naming studies.
Suggested EyeLink Hardware
- EyeLink 1000 Plus Core System (ELP-STD-CORE or ELP-LAP-CORE)
The Core System is the heart of the EyeLink 1000 Plus system's extendible modular design. The core system includes the standard EyeLink 1000 Plus High-speed Camera (up to 2000 Hz binocular with the head stabilized), a Host Computer with Monitor, the EyeLink Software Development Kit, 24 month hardware warranty and perpetual technical support.
- EyeLink 1000 Plus Desktop Mount (ELP-DESK-89)
When used with a chin or forehead rest, the EyeLink 1000 Plus Desktop Mount enables high temporal and spatial resolution monocular and binocular recording.
By adding the Remote/Head Free Camera Upgrade (ELP-RMT-UP), the mount can also be used to achieve 1000 Hz binocular Remote recording without head stabilization.
- SR Research Head Support (SR-HDR)
This is a sturdy, yet comfortable, chin and / or forehead rest that clamps to a table top for ultimate stability. Great care was taken to design the head support so that there is no interference with the users knees or legs
- SR Research Experiment Builder and Data Viewer Software Bundle (EL-DVEB)
Experiment Builder and Data Viewer enable easy implementation of most experimental paradigms and provide simple access to the features of the EyeLink eye tracker.
Other Common Options
- Remote Camera Upgrade (ELP-RMT-UP)
This upgrade enables your EyeLink 1000 Plus system to work with no head stabilization required. The Remote eye tracking mode supports up to 1000 Hz binocular sampling rate. The EyeLink 1000 Plus Desktop or LCD Arm mount is required.
- 2000 Hz Camera Upgrade (ELP-2K-UP)
Included with all new EyeLink systems, upgrading the EyeLink 1000 Plus camera provides the world's fastest sampling rate and online data access time. This upgrade enables 2000 Hz binocular recording and 1000 Hz in Remote mode with the head free-to-move. Existing customers can upgrade for a nominal fee.
- Tower Mount (ELP-TWR)
The Tower Mount provides a large monocular eye tracking range and is useful for tasks that require the participant to use their hands to touch the display screen. This mount includes the SR Research Head Support.
- EyeLink Installation and Training (EL-INS)
Get your EyeLink experience off to a great start with an expert introduction to the system and software, tailored to your particular research interests. This service includes travel expenses, one-half day installation and one day of training.
For a personalized consultation or quotation, including special solution bundle pricing,
please contact us